Saturday, April 23, 2011

Full Surrender.


Well, I'm entering into my last full week of the blog break that I took during this season of Lent.
I hate to admit that deciding to take a break was kind of a tug of war between me and the Lord.
I felt his nudge in my heart, and then I did the whole "try to talk him out of it" scenario.
I'm pretty sure there were literal conversations that I had with him about why I didn't need to take a break.
But I knew it was his nudge, and I know by now that he only wants the best for me, so I surrendered.
Surrendering feels good.
It's way too easy for my heart to have a will of its own, and his peace always follows when I obey his nudges.

One of the things that I've contemplated this season is a series of questions
that one of our Christian forefathers, John Wesley, often asked himself and a group of men
that he spent time with in a mentoring type relationship.

The first time I ever read them, I felt like a complete failure.
They all seem to plague me at some time or another.
My imperfections show me my dependence upon Christ.

The questions are a good reminder of my great need for him.
So, I thought I'd be a good bloggy friend and pass them on to you.
Don't thank me later with hate mail, okay?

 Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression that I am better than I really am?
In other words, am I a hypocrite?
 Am I honest in all my acts and words, or do I exaggerate?
 Do I confidentially pass on to another what was told to me in confidence?
 Can I be trusted?
Am I a slave to dress, friends, work, or habits?
 Am I self-conscious, self-pitying, or self-justifying?
 Did the Bible live in me today?
 Do I give it time to speak to me everyday?
 Am I enjoying prayer?
 When did I last speak to someone else about my faith?
 Do I pray about the money I spend?
 Do I get to bed on time and get up on time?
 Do I disobey God in anything?
 Do I insist upon doing something about which my conscience is uneasy?
 Am I defeated in any part of my life?
 Am I jealous, impure, critical, irritable, touchy, or distrustful?
 How do I spend my spare time?
 Am I proud?
 Do I thank God that I am not as other people, especially as the Pharisees who despised the publican?
 Is there anyone whom I fear, dislike, disown, criticize, hold a resentment toward or disregard? 
If so, what am I doing about it?
 Do I grumble or complain constantly?
 Is Christ real to me?

Christ is real to me.
And because he is real,
I can say with confidence that even though my flesh struggles, there is hope eternal.

HE IS RISEN.

16 comments:

  1. Wonderful questions to ask ourselves. Thank you so much for posting them.
    Have a glorious Easter!
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's food for thought and prayer. Thanks for posting it. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your post for today! These are great questions to contemplate.

    Have a wonderful and blessed Easter ♥

    ~Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thank you very much for posting this. I need to revisit my commitment from time to time. Happy Easter to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! These are difficult questions, but I guess that just shows how much I really needed to ask them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy easter weekend darling...love love love Ria...xxx...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hard questions...but much needed in order to grow in Him and reflect His love. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found this list several years ago and reread it now and then. Part of that examining yourself stuff- it's hard and yet it always leads me back to the Cross and so thankful that it is not how well I am doing at the list but His blood that has cleansed and is changing and remaking me into that Godly woman I so desperately want to become.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are hard questions that I know I never think about asking myself. Thank you for posting them. Walking the narrow way is hard but we don't do it alone and with God nothing is impossible. Have a blessed Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow do I love this post and the honest, heart searching questions. My husband, in a real low point, asked, "When you take ME out of the equation, what's left?" Followers of Christ need to be willing to step aside, be emptied and lay things down. It's not easy, but it always brings blessings. You've done that with your blog break and God has been glorified. And no doubt, many hearts are encouraged!

    He is risen indeed!
    Xo,
    Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome questions! I need to carry a copy along with me and pull it out about every 3 minutes:) Thanks for this post! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how I miss you when you are away! Because of this...TRUTH. I totally admire you listening to HIm and obeying. But He has to be proud of you, His good and faithful servant. To obey and to use your blog to testify to His goodness. Happy Easter friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ouch, in the very best way. Thank you for posting these.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are wonderful questions that are hard but ones that are great to ask ourselves everyday !!

    I have to tell you that I was singing Kari Jobe really really loud along with your blog music :)
    She is one of the Worship Pastors at our church so we get to hear her sing these songs alot and I LOVE them !!!

    Lots of hugs,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  15. ummm those were so good. really spoke to my heart. been gone this week...so glad to come home and see your back. i've missed you!

    ReplyDelete