Saturday, February 11, 2012

Raising Modern Day Knights



My husband recently finished reading How to Raise a Modern Day Knight.
If you're raising boys, he says this is a must read.

So, he's sitting here with me giving me the overview of the book, which is a little bit hilarious.
One thing you have to know about me and Andy....
I am a precise personality....details, details, details.
He is a generalist in his personality...big picture kind of guy.
The best way to describe us...
I'm famous for giving the Oprah version of any story and he's famous for giving the ESPN version.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's his best effort at some details for us. :)
3 basic truths from the book.
  A vision for manhood.
 The dream of what your life should be.
 A code of conduct 
The honor by which you live.
  A transcendent cause.
 The motivation by which you pursue the code of conduct.

4 basic manhood principals for vision.
a man rejects passivity, stepping bravely into each moment.
a man accepts responsibility 
a man leads courageously with truth.
a man expects the greater reward, not doing anything out of selfish ambition.

3 primary responsibilities of a man for the code of conduct.
 a will to obey {God's will}
a work to do, not only in his job, but at home, in his church and in his community.
a woman to love..his wife.

A transcendent cause is the motivation behind everything.
It must be truly heroic, a noble endeavor calling forth bravery and sacrifice.
 It must be timeless, containing significance beyond the moment.
It must be supremely meaningful, pulsating with purpose.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm so blessed that Andy is the kind of man that longs to teach our boys how to be men.
After finishing this book, 
he talked to the boys about what he read and they talked about a vision for their manhood.
It took about two seconds for him to decided to make a sign for their room.
He wanted something ever-present and in front of them reminding them of their vision.

The quote on their sign is from Alfred Lord Tennyson, and our boys love it!!

If you'd like one, we're selling them, along with our family rules signs!
You are welcome to use the quote that we used or come up with your own!
Email us at:
andrewshanelowry@gmail.com

18 comments:

  1. LOVE the way your sign turned out!! I've got to try and make one of these on my own!! We have all girls, but I bet my husband would still enjoy reading the book.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 2 boys, I'll have to check out that book. The sign is lovely too, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Sign! Bravo, thanks for sharing.I have all girls though I do have a son-in-law and a grandson.I think I will get the book to share with them.
    Good rules to live by though~Cheers Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you going to sell these signs as well? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great sign and I will suggest the book to my daughter..Thank You for the post..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so good!!!!!! And those boys are going to bless some girls one day who I'm sure will thank Jesus for working through you and Andy in them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the sign. I just might have to copy this idea. I love that your husband is so focused on teaching your boys how to be real men.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ya'll are such awesome parents!
    i can only imagine how many future relationships/marriages would be headed into a future of grace/honesty/loyalty if parents could raise up young men like ya'll are....
    & the sign is AWESOME!!!

    ps--oh my goodness, thank you for adding my button. i need to squeeze you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sign is amazing! And while I dont have boys, I love the title of that book and may have to check it out. We're youth leaders so it would help in that area of our lives.
    Your title made me tear up because in two weeks we're doing a benefit for an 11 yr old boy, the son of one of my hubby's co-workers, who has cancer and the theme is fighting for your life. My husband is a history teacher and the decor will be along the line of knights because the little boy loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You guys are so talented! Words are so powerful and I love having them on the walls. I love the sign and the meaning behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Oprah version vs the ESPN version. Sounds like our house indeed. The art is amazing, amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE this! and his overview of the book. :) So cool how the wood shows thru and the rest is black. Love it. gotta have one...one day. Hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE this!!! My man is doing "Raising a modern day knight" with our son.... can you email me what you are charging for these... just lovely.
    Sash

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh how our boys need this. i just watched courageous the movie and was so moved.
    your husband is a gifted man...the sign is just beautiful..the words are powerful!
    your boys will grow up to be strong oaks..leaders of the next generation...
    much love
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book is awesome...and I'm so glad you brought this to light for others!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Robert Lewis was our pastor for years.... Amazing book.... Amazing man.... More Amazing God who gave him that to write and other books also. Loved the sign. May have to have one for our daughter with 5 sons and a daughter to be born soon.

    ReplyDelete